Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Chapter 9: Conference with Students

The main idea that I took away from this chapter is that even though one on one conferencing with your students may sound ideal, it is not the only effective strategy. It was reassuring to here Routman suggest that there are a variety of ways you can conference with your students. A conference can be formal, informal, long, short, small group, large group, public or private. This realization gave me some hope that I was on the right track. My thoughts were further reinforced when Routman explained that conferences can be conducted for different purposes : to celebrate, validate, encourage, teach, assess or set goals. Some of these I never really categorized as a conference before now.

2 comments:

Tammy Gilley said...

Good job, Brenda. I know you too have been conducting conferencing as Routman suggest for years. Doesn't feel good to know that are practices are being confirmed as the right way to teach?

vicki'svoice said...

It was a relief for me to read that conferences could be for different purposes and short and simple. I had in my mind that a conference could take 5 or 10 minutes per student.