Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Chapter 10: Make Assessment Count

I enjoyed this chapter and agreed with much of what Routman had to say. My favorite was, "Reader's have to read avidly to become readers, and the same holds true for writers."
We should have students write everyday for 20-30 minutes, just as we have them read every day. If this is what we believe, we will make time for it.

There was one area that I disagreed with Routman on and that was the use of the six traits of writing. I don't know any teacher that uses the traits in isolation as Routman suggests. We use it as an evaluation tool, criteria for good writing and a common language. Routman herself uses these phrases when talking about writing: it's in the language, the way the piece flows, organized, the impact the words have on the reader, grammar, spelling, punctuation, and voice. Sounds like the six traits to me. I don't believe that the use of the six traits or a rubric sends the message that content doesn't matter or fails to take into account the writer's development of ideas and evidence presented in the writing piece.
I do agree that not every rubric is a good tool to use and if a teacher doesn't teach and demonstrate a rubric that it makes it worthless! However; our 6th grade team has worked hard to create a rubric that we value.

However, I'm sure every teacher must have been relieved and cheered to read that Routman suggests we needn't grade but 20% of our students' writing. I personally have never graded all my students' writing, because I feel it creates an atmosphere for reluctant writers instead of promoting writing.

1 comment:

Randy said...

I know we should have students write 20-30 minutes a day, but it is so hard to set a seperate time for it. I like the idea of writing during other subject times.