Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Chapter 6 Capitalize on the Reading-Writing Connection

I have to say this chapter is one of my favorites. It seems like such a no brainer and yet as teachers we can all say that we need to spend more time writing. We know that to improve reading, one must read. I believe we have finally, but not so easily, accomplished this in our educational day. We give our students many and varied opportunities to read. We also know that our best readers are our best writers, so now, we must ensure the same for writing. It only makes sense that since the two go hand in hand developmentally that we teach them together and not in isolation. I believe that primary teachers tend to do a better job with this. I know that when I taught only reading and language I taught reading and writing interconnected, but now that I must focus on more subjects the connection is not quite as strong.

I do believe that as an intermediate teacher I do a better job reading and writing expository text. It's neat to watch a student who otherwise struggles with reading explain potential and kinetic energy and journal about their team's process of building a mousetrap. It's amazing.

One topic that I have modeled a lot with my students is rereading writing, so as to improve the quality. The students are willing to give input as I model and do quite well. However, when they are working independently on their writing I don't see it having the impact that I desire.

2 comments:

Vicky Richardson said...

I think we are getting better all of the time at integrating writing into the other subjects. I think we also didn't give ourselves credit for all of the writing we do accomplish. I know the author keeps talking about writing and reading, but I really feel it fits into other subjects also. Routman doesn't mention those other content areas much though.

Nancy said...

I loved this chapter too, Brenda. It affirmed what I have always believed about reading especially. It only makes sense too that the quantity of writing you do is important. And they ARE connected.